[aprssig] Shack backup power

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Jun 6 08:22:53 EDT 2011

> I doing think there is any such thing as "too green"
> but it is our grandchildren that will see what happens
> when we "run out of oil"...

Actually it is our children, not grand children that will see the brunt of
the effect.  We are passing Peak-Oil in 2011 as predicted by EVERY one of
the 21 Oil research groups.  See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:PU200611_Fig1.png

No amount of drill-baby-drill is going to change it more than a year or so
here or there..  And man has a nasty habit of war and killing in the face of
dwindling resources..  The badness begins not when we "run out", but now,
when our economy which is dependent completely on GROWTH faces the
inevitability of declining fossil energy resources.

They have been importing coal to Newcastle now for over a decade!  They ran
out.
See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selling_coal_to_Newcastle

I guess this has no business on the APRSSIG, but ham radio and survivable
comnmunications will play a role through this period.  I wish someone could
make a movie like the "Postman" but instead of taking on the role of a
postman to spread communications after the collapse of infrastructure, the
protagonist could be leading a band of geeks rebuilding communications links
from old radios and non-working cell phones...

Bob, Wb4APR