[aprssig] Shack backup power

Greg Dolkas ko6th.greg at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 01:37:41 EDT 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: "DALE" <wa7ixk at embarqmail.com>
Sent: 6/4/11 6:50 PM
Subject: Re: [aprssig] Shack backup power

..snip..

> very unlikely a generator is going to kill a lineman.
> I use a suicide cord to hook mine up after I have tripped all breakers.
> One main breaker kill the whole house.
> I am thinking of putting in a transfer switch, but it is $200.00 just for the panel.

Are you willing to bet a life on this?  It is unlikely, sure, but the small risk is extremely severe.  Circuit breakers can fail closed, especially if the outage caused a power spike at its onset.  You may think the breaker is pulled, when it's not.

The thought that the line load would prevent your generator from driving it presumes you're driving the whole of it.  Depending on the event, that may not be true either.

Laws and building codes not withstanding, is saving the money worth the risk?

Greg  KO6TH