[aprssig] Shack backup power

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Sun Jun 5 12:09:30 EDT 2011

Dale WA7IXK wrote...

> In my area if they hear a generator running they come and make
> you shut it down. They are a little paranoid. If a generator is running
> and feeding the grid...

A generator should never feed the grid. There should be a proper
transfer switch so that it can never happen.

> I use a suicide cord to hook mine up after I have tripped all breakers.
> One main breaker kill the whole house. I am thinking of putting in a
> transfer switch, but it is $200.00 just for the panel.

If you killed a lineman, it would be a "murder cord" and not a "suicide
cord". I am sure that lots of people do this, but I sure wouldn't admit
it on a public forum. The $200 for a transfer switch is far less than the
cost of killing a lineman.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH