[aprssig] Shack backup power service disconnect..

Rick Green rtg at aapsc.com
Sun Jun 5 12:49:52 EDT 2011

On Sun, 5 Jun 2011, Kriss A Kliegle wrote:

> For VERY litle money, there's a mechanical interlock available for
> 'modern' CB panels. I have one on my Siemons panel. It allows only the
> main breaker to power the panel or the double ganged one immediately
> below (first two slots), but not both. Way cheaper than the DPDT switch,
> and the meter doesn't have to be pulled off the building!
   They're available from the manufacturer for current-production models,
but they deliberately remove them from the catalog for discontinued lines.
So to retrofit an existing panel, you have to go to a third-party vendor,
such as interlockkit.com.
   I've installed several, and am a firm believer.  Before you apply power,
however, be sure to verify that you indeed cannot turn on both breakers at
once.  I once installed a kit from a large name-brand manufacturer, on
their own brand-new panel, and found it possible to put the lock slide in
a mid-position which allowed me to turn on both breakers.  Needless to
say, that panel assembly got shipped immediately to the company's
engineering team, and I exchanged it for another panel and kit from
another of that company's lines.

--
Rick Green  N8BJX

                                   -Benjamin Franklin

"As for our common defense, we reject as false the choice between our
safety and our ideals."
                                -President Barack Obama 20 Jan 2009