[aprssig] has anyone built/modified a USB to TTL level converter??

Greg Dolkas ko6th.greg at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 22:01:20 EDT 2011

Hi Bob,

Ok, I think I see your question.

USB is not just a signal level shift like RS-232 to TTL is.  Yes, it's serial, but there's a protocol on top of it that requires some intelligence at each end.  That's what is inside one of those dongles.  So, use a dongle to go from USB to serial, then level shift to TTL.

You might be able to pick up a TTL signal from inside the dongle, depending on brand and construction, but I haven't tried that.

Good luck,

Greg  KO6TH