[aprssig] Best mobile APRS rig?

Jason Rausch jason at ke4nyv.com
Thu Jun 2 17:44:12 EDT 2011

If you are looking for a radio with internal TNC, strongly consider an Alinco DR-135 with the Argent Data internal Tracker2 module:

DR-135:
http://www.hamradio.com/detail.cfm?pid=H0-008739

Tracker2:
https://www.argentdata.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=55

With this combo you can either hook up a display-less GPS, to run a tracker or add on just about any serial based GPS with a display and you can also have a live map view.

Since the Tracker2 speaks native Garmin binary, you can also use a Nuvi 350 and get full mapping and messaging.

You other option is to hook up an external unit like a HamHUD II and have messaging.

My point, there is more out there than the Kenwood radios.

Jason Rausch - KE4NYV
RPC Electronics, LLC
www.rpc-electronics.com