[aprssig] Questions about being both an iGate and digipeater.

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Thu Jul 21 06:36:42 EDT 2011

On 7/20/2011 11:40 PM, Randy Love wrote:
> Actually the doubling *is* encouraged.
> It's this "packetcide" that keeps the packets from bouncing around
> taking up more slots than they should. The idea is that your digi and
> another digi within earshot of each other will transmit at the same
> time to keep from taking up 3 time slots for a single outbound packet.

This may seem counter-intuitive, but the FM "capture effect" (on VHF at
least) will allow receivers within earshot of both digis to
automagically "select" the strong signal to decode.

> Read here in the KPC3+ settings why uidwait ( or just dwait ) should
> be OFF or 0.
> http://www.aprs.org/kpc3/kpc3+WIDEn.txt

My big question is how to do you get a software-controlled TNC that is
both a digi and an IGate to not wait for a clear channel on the digipeat
but yet wait for a clear channel on -IS to RF IGating and other
beacons?  And do KPC-3+ and other "popular" TNCs do this automatically
between digipeating and transmitting their own beacons and/or objects?
It would seem that UIDWAIT governs all transmissions which means that
the digi's own beacons aren't waiting for a clear channel?