[aprssig] status text on kenwood aprs-capable radios

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sun Jul 17 19:32:40 EDT 2011

> But the status 'message' doesn't change with
> the auto-QSY feature, right?

STATUS 5 on the D710 automatically insesrts "FFF.FFFMHz" as the first 10 bytes of your status text, depending on what is the instantaneous frequency in band B.

SO if you are using *STATUS 5, you never have to change status's beacuase your beacons will always show what freq is in the voice side of the radio.  (Unfortunately it even does this whil scanning which makes no sense.... in othrwords at the instant the beacon goes out, if side B is scanning, then the instantaneous frequency goes out too!.  They have fixed this I think in the D72 and maybe in the lastest D710, but I have not checked it.

It is AMAZING the number of D710's out there driving around without showing their frequency.  When I see them, I have a pre-loaded message saying "U hve no voice FREQ in ur BCN. Pse use STATUS5."

Bob, Wb4APR