[aprssig] Shelby Hamfest (APRS?)

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Jul 8 18:36:30 EDT 2011

There is an opportunity at the Shelby Hamfest (sept 3-4) in NC for an APRS
speaker.

In addition, I checked the local map and don't see any helpful FREQUENCY
objects showing the locally recommended Voice Frequency or HAMFEST object
(thought it is too early for the hamfest object maybe)...  Though the
objects might be on RF, there might not be a local IGate to pick them up.

But since this is a MAJOR hamfest, we should make sure that the area has not
only these local FREQ objects for visitors and travelers, but also an IGate
to serve the hamfest...  And since it is such a major Named hamfest, they
could put the object up more than 30 days in advance if they wanted to (see
www.aprs.org/hamfest.html).

Also, their planning committee needs to make sure that their talk-in
frequency operator has an APRS display in front of him so he can SEE where
people are that he is talking to...

And other such APRS preparations ...

Good luck!

Bob, Wb4APR