[aprssig] APRS mobile HF CQ

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Jan 27 11:14:09 EST 2011

[Subj: Was APRS on Android]

> I think it would be fun to pass through a town,
> send a 40 meter frequency into IS with a phone,
> and have someone call me on 40m.

Anyone can do this, even on the APRS-IS.  Just send an APRS message:

To:  CQSRVER
Msg: CQ CQ Lee, 7.285 MHz mobile!

Your message will go to EVERY person on the planet on RF and IS who has
similarly sent in a CQ CQ message that day.

Come to think about it, I think everyone that is mobile HF should make it a
matter of routine to send out a CQ CQ message everytime they get in the car!
And with the APRS radios, that is as easy as hitting the MSG button and then
the RE-TX button.  Done.

APRS is powerful.  So few people use it for anything but pushing ICONS
around on someone else's map.

Bob, WB4APR