[aprssig] APRS on Android/-IS to RF gating

Greg D. ko6th_greg at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 27 02:26:50 EST 2011

> From: kd7zwv at peterson.ath.cx
> Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 22:54:07 -0700
> To: aprssig at tapr.org
> Subject: Re: [aprssig] APRS on Android/-IS to RF gating
>
> On Jan 26, 2011, at 8:36 PM, Lee Bengston wrote:
>
> And, for the gentleman who said something to the effect that we're supposed to be doing things with RF (I know it wasn't you, Lee, I think it was Greg), *I* thought we were supposed to be communicating.  If we weren't supposed to be trying new things and communicating in new ways, we'd never have progressed beyond spark gap Morse.  I know from talking with Bob KB4APR that it's about people communicating.  Anything we can do to facilitate that, with whatever technology, is a good thing in my opinion.

As I said, if we use the IS as an accessory to RF, then I'm all for it.  No objection at all to communicating, and the more different ways we can do it, the better.  I'm just concerned we might be heading down a slippery slope where we put too much focus on the Internet and not enough on the clever things we can do in the RF space.  When everyone has a 3G cell phone hooked to IS, and spends their time watching each other wander, ant-like, around our Retina displays, we won't need RF.  Until the IS or Cell part breaks, then we'll totally unprepared when we're forced to dust off the HT and remember how to turn it on.

Your example of effectively sending out a CQ via IS for a QSO on 2 meters is an interesting yet troubling mix of technologies.  I need to let that settle in my brain a bit...

Greg  KO6TH