[aprssig] Generic Smartphone APRS aps!

Eric Hansen skyssx at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 07:55:47 EST 2011

With all respect to what you have accomplished; the Windows Mobile phone is
dead. Win7 may make a comeback and be a contender in the market. In regards
to mobile phones, if the app doesn't run on Android or iOS right now, it's
not a smart phone app. CE is a niche OS with less than 1% market share.

I do agree heartily with you on one point: Without a mapping application,
APRS is virtually useless. I *could* plot out posits on a topo map, or I
could plug in a laptop with USB and have it done for me.

FOR ME, the ideal smartphone app would do everything iAPRS does, except also
allow full RF participation through either a RS-232 dongle to TNC or to a
radio directly with an audio cable. Either one is very possible with the two
major smartphone OSes, and there are applications that do both tasks. Just
none that condense it all into ONE app.