[aprssig] -IS to RF Igating (was: APRS on Android)

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Jan 24 21:24:54 EST 2011

> Consider using alternate Channels with higher
> bandwidths and that there is far more of interest
> than just the local traffic...

True, but does it need to be on RF? And can a driver of a vehicle absorb it
or make any use of it?  If not, then most off it (out of area) should be
kept on the internet for the shack potatoes.  In the shack, most everyone
has access to anything from 56 Kbps to megabytes.  In the car, its only
1.2kbps.

> The "Everything On 144.390" is both too limited
> in scope and doesn't scale once you get beyond
> a small number of stations.

We may have lots of stations on the air here, but few are doing anything
that anyone else would be even the slightest bit interested in.  They are
just driving to and from work.  If I took EVERYTHING going on in this area
on the other 95% of ham radio and put it on 144.39 in 1 second beacons per
activity, then it would still all fit on 144.39 at 1200 baud with room to
spare.

> A 9600 baud alternate Channel is a good start
> and there are other options that are much faster.

Agree. But if we want to see what is going on in ham radio in my area,
putting out basically nothing at 10 times faster is still basically nothing.
I have little interest in filling up a bigger list of stations and objects
in my radio of which I have little or no interest.

What I do want to see is anyone doing anything in ham radio that would be of
immediate interest to others.  One such thing is their operating frequency
right now.  Even if it is CB or HF.  If they are in range, that is more
important than their position.  This is ham radio.  Our mission is
communications.

Bob, Wb4APR