[aprssig] APRS on Android

Tom Hayward esarfl at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 14:26:57 EST 2011

On Mon, Jan 24, 2011 at 11:12, Stephen H. Smith <wa8lmf2 at aol.com> wrote:
> On 1/24/2011 10:23 AM, Eric Lorenz K9LGE wrote:
>>
>> Dear Georg:
>>
>>  ...just wish more igates and such ported TCP packets back to local
>> radio...I have several friends in areas I travel that cannot see me when I
>> am beaconing as they use radio to monitor local APRS traffic and their local
>> I-gates/digis only port RF to the internet, not the other way.
>>

>> Thanks,
>> Eric K9LGE

The best way to get your APRS-IS packets onto RF is to contact your
local i-gate operator and ask him to whitelist your callsign. This
will only be useful in his local area (not while traveling), but it's
better than nothing and will allow your local friends to see your
packets.

> APRS Internet stream is now a non-stop 150-200K/sec -- this is why one uses
> port 14580 filters to limit the firehose effect when connecting to the
> APRS-IS.)

For accuracy: the full stream is usually about 23 KB/s. The average
over the last four days is more like 20 KB/s. That works out to about
60 GB per month.

Tom KD7LXL