[aprssig] AVRS Online

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Jan 20 20:18:04 EST 2011

> How are Aprs.fi and Findu.com getting these AVRS
> objects but they are not sent to me.

You will not see them until your local CLIENT recognizes items-in-messages.
This is part of APRS1.2 for several years, but it is slow to be implemented
by authors because it is a chicken-egg problem.  Until the demand of AVRS,
there was little incentive on authors to update their clients with this new
capability.

IGates, however, should work as is, because the "object" is actually
embedded in a message which the IGate already knows how to handle.  But the
RF clients will need to recognize them.  Even for clients that do not
implement it, the  user can still read the needed data in a message.

Comment:  The format for the "item" in the message seems to not quite yet
match the item-in-to format.  For that format the message text would be (I
think):

   ;146.960*T107 R30m EL#523154 23mi NW{6

Where the R30m is the repeaters own claimed range, and the 23mi NW is the
AVRS engine's assessment of the range and bearing to it from the users
position.

If I got that wrong, lemme know.

Bob, Wb4APR