[aprssig] AVRS Online

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sun Jan 16 10:47:53 EST 2011

> Actually, that's not necessarily a "good" fix.
> On APRS-IS, where this will certainly be used,
> callsigns are CaSe SeNsItIvE.  If you send a
> message to KJ4ERJ-12, I'll receive it and ack it.
> If you send the same message to kj4erj-12, I'll
> turn a deaf ear.

Yes, this is a problem.  My thoughts are that on TX of a callsign, all
systems should generally force the transmission to be in upper case (though
not necessarily absolutely enforce this rule if one wants to do something
special).

Similarly on receipt of a callsign in the MESSAGE-TO field, I think the
client should be case in-sensitive and accept both cases. (again, unless the
particular app is trying to do something unusual).

Years-ago, I wanted to use this extra "bit" in callsigns for special
purposes, such as PRIORITY or OPERATOR-PRESNET, but many people objected.
It might be nice to get a list of what is and is not case sensitive..

OK, I did a test:

D7(g) will not notice a message to it in lower case

D72 same.

But both did ACK even though a line number was not sent.

Bob, Wb4APR