[aprssig] SSTV module

Alex Carver kf4lvz at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 13 09:09:47 EST 2011

> Message: 3
> Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 16:19:22 -0800
> From: Scott Miller
> Subject: [aprssig] SSTV module

> This is semi-OT, but this gadget might find some use for
> APRN.  We're
> currently taking pre-orders for our new SSTVCAM module,
> which is
> basically a self-contained SSTV camera that sends Scottie 1
> and 2 and
> Robot 36 and 72 images.  We should be shipping them
> next week.
>
> The bad news is that the camera module was discontinued
> just as I got it
> working, so we've only got a couple dozen to sell.
> There are some more
> of the cameras available from other sources, too, but once
> they're gone
> we won't be able to build any more of these, and the design
> is very
> specific to this camera module.
>
> Because of the low volume I'm holding off on adding APRS
> features for
> now, but I can add that in if there's sufficient
> interest.  The module
> has a serial input, but right now it's only used for the
> character
> generator.

If I had cash I'd be getting one right now.  I like the module.  If you could replicate Kenwood's VC-H1 in something close to that form factor there'd be a line of people ready to get one.

Perhaps in your next iteration (if there is one) put the camera on a daughter board so you can swap modules without getting burned by a discoed unit?  Makes it thicker but hey, less board rework.