[aprssig] New APRS Sourceforge Project

John Gorkos jgorkos at gmail.com
Sat Jan 8 20:34:34 EST 2011

As I mentioned in an earlier message, I'm working on a new set of Java Parsers
and the implementation of AVRS (Automatic Voice Relay System).  I had several
people request access to the code for various reasons, so I created a
SourceForge project called AVRS which can be found here:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/avrs/

I've not made any official releases yet, but all of my code is available in
the SourceForge SVN repository.  Right now, everything is tagged as GPL3, and
I am committed to creating free and open-source software for the APRS
community.

I realize there are already several APRS related projects at SourceForge.  Of
particular note is the fine work that Gregg Wonderly did with JeAPRS.  While
none of Gregg's work appears in my libraries, his code has been inspirational.
Similarly, Matti Aarnio's code from http://repo.ham.fi/websvn/java-aprs-fap/
has provided a foundation for the position parsers in my project.

While my final goal is to realize the AVRS system as proposed by WB4APR, that
project requires a solid foundation of parsers and other libraries that will
be useful in any APRS software.  If you are a developer committed to OSS
principles and want to use the code I've developed, you're welcome to it.  If
you see errors, oversights, gross incompetence, or plain stupidity, you're
welcome to ping me for write access to SVN or simply submit patches to fix
what I've broken or missed.

I'm actively developing AVRS at a pretty good clip.  I'll continue to post
updates and invitations here on the APRSSig list, at least until someone tells
me to knock it off.

Regards,
John Gorkos
AB0OO