[aprssig] APRS Crossband on 30m

Julian, G4ILO julian.g4ilo at gmail.com
Sat Feb 26 10:47:50 EST 2011

A few months ago when a group of French hams made a kerfuffle over not
being allowed to use D-Star I seem to remember someone telling me that
the French were not allowed to connect ham radio to the internet. I
also seem to remember being told that because of that, French packet
and APRS ops gated from VHF to HF so that they would be gated by
people in countries where internet connected stations are legal.

I have no idea whether or not either of those statements are true.
There certainly are French stations that connect to the internet, but
then there are stations over here that digipeat without an MB7 call.
However if they are doing what they are doing in order to strictly
adhere to their licenses I'm not sure we have any right to complain
about it. Unfortunately, not knowing a word of French, I can't prove
or disprove this.

Julian, G4ILO
G4ILO's Shack: www.g4ilo.com