[aprssig] G1ZRN-10 spam

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Wed Feb 23 07:25:23 EST 2011

On 2/23/2011 6:16 AM, Julian, G4ILO wrote:
> Lynn, do you think we could have a blacklist function in APRSIS32 so
> the software can dump this unwanted traffic the way my mail client
> deals with spam?

I've considered blacklist and ignore lists, but am still currently of
the opinion that ignoring a problem won't make it go away.
Unfortunately, in APRS we don't have the bandwidth to simply route
everything from the source to all possible destinations, only to have it
ignored when it gets there.   What we can hope is that someone closer to
the source, hopefully someone that knows the source personally, will get
just as annoyed and ask them to cease and desist.

As we just discussed in the APRS QSO, I will add an option to disable
the notification of non-directly addressed messages in an attempt to
reduce the annoyance capability of such ALL addressing stations.