[aprssig] Hop progression

Jim Alles kb3tbx at gmail.com
Sat Feb 19 19:43:43 EST 2011

It looks like I am identifying the confusion (if not causing it ;).

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 12:31 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) <
ldeffenb at homeside.to> wrote:

> On 2/19/2011 11:15 AM, Jim Alles wrote:
>
>> that, I don't see much point.  It is not always recognized that the
>> RECOMENDED WIDE1-1, WIDE2-2 is three hops.
>>

> Actually, in most parts of North America, I believe WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 is
> recommended for mobile operation, WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 is only recommended if you
> know it to be necessary for your current RF coverage area.

> Alright, I over-emphasised it.

from http://info.aprs.net/index.php?title=Paths:
Recommended Path Settings for:  *MOBILE* Stations in North America (VHF)

   - WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1  :Two hops in all directions with potential to use
   fill-in digis. Best path for mobile use in most all areas.
   - WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2  :Three hops with potential to use fill-in digis. Use
   only if truly needed while very far from any mountain digis or cities.

WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 is one of the two recommendations.  Even though THIS
document says it explicitly, not everyone recognizes that this will be three
hops.  What is worse, is that not everyone recognizes what problems three
hops causes in dense (most) areas.

Then there is this: "Use only if truly needed while very far from any
mountain digis or cities."  In northern PA, everyone is very far from any
digi or city.  Using three hops is not going to improve that situation.
Only by improving your RF situation are you going to get out.  Increase the
altitude, antenna gain, transmitter power, stop moving; all might help -
_But don't increase your hops!_

What is a mountain anyway?  Compared to the west coast, PA only has hills.

What is a rural area?

from http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths/ :

  *Today's recommended universal path settings under the "New Paradigm" are:
*

   - *WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2*  (Will produce three hops and will take advantage of
   home fill-in digis. Use in rural areas with low APRS activity only.)

   - *WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1*  (Will produce two hops and will take advantage of
   home fill-in digis. Use in busy urban and suburban areas.)   * Recommended
   for the majority of operations!
   *
   - *WIDE2-2 * (Shortest path string. Produces two hops by directly using
   two high-level digis. Will work almost anywhere but especially recommended
   in the American west where high-level digipeaters are really high-level;
   i.e. on mountain tops thousands and thousands of feet above users, and can
   easily be reached directly, without the help of home stations.)

WIDE1-1,WIDE2-2 may not be recommended, but it is the first one mentioned.

The best example I have seen so far:

http://www.qsl.net/n8deu/Alabama_APRS/Guidelines/AL_Guidelines.htm

I think I am going to shut up and go edit a Wiki.

Regards,
Jim A.