[aprssig] Hop progression

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Sat Feb 19 12:41:08 EST 2011

On Sat, Feb 19, 2011 at 10:15 AM, Jim Alles <kb3tbx at gmail.com> wrote:
> That is not true in my part of the N.E. - there are enough digis and I-gates
> that the first transmission stands a slight chance of hitting an I-gate
> directly, and the first hop covers local information purposes and LOTS of
> I-gates.

You seem to be making the invalid assumption that the purpose of an
APRS transmission is to get into APRS-IS.

> The truth is that if your first transmitted packet isn't heard, adding hops
> isn't going to change a thing.

Sorry, but that's nonsense, especially if you actually care about RF
operation.  It _might_ be true, in _your_ area, _if_ you only care
about getting back to the internet.

What we do is amateur _radio_, not amateur internet interfacing.
APRS-IS is a very nice auxiliary, but it is not the purpose of APRS.

-Jason
kg4wsv