[aprssig] ARISS digi

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Sat Feb 19 18:32:26 EST 2011

Ted WA7ZZB wrote...

>A friend was trying to digi via the ISS and observed his packets on the APRS-IS:
> 2011-02-19 05:09:28 UTC: AD7FC>T6SUVX,WIDE1*,WIDE2-1,qAo,AC7KW:`0;^l+c[/>=

I would suspect that he was on 144.390 as something responded to
the WIDE1-1 but unfortunately, the digi didn't insert its own callsign,
so there's no way of knowing what digi it was. I'm assuming that
the ISS would be inserting its callsign, so I'm guessing that AD7FC
wasn't on the ISS frequency of (I believe) 145.800 MHz.

Unfortunately, www.ariss.net has a link to the following site. Guess it's
going to take a while to get the rest of the world to update their links.

http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/iss-aprs/issicons.html

> I do not recognize 'T6SUVX', does anyone else have a clue as to what that is?

It is a station using MIC-E.

I believe it was digi'd by a terrestrial digi. Looking at aprs.fi...

http://aprs.fi/?c=raw&call=AD7FC

2011-02-18 02:19:33 UTC:
AD7FC>APK003,BETHAL,WIDE1*,WIDE2-1,qAR,WB7QBF::APRS     :Test{0

I believe the APK003 indicates that it is a Kenwood radio. Any comments from
anyone? I would assume a D7 or D72 as AD7FC is using the "human" symbol.

www.aprs.org/aprs11/tocalls.txt

Yup... it's a D72.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH