[aprssig] Help with repeater beacon

Guido Trentalancia iz6rdb at trentalancia.com
Wed Feb 16 20:16:09 EST 2011

Hello John !

On Wed, 16/02/2011 at 17.37 -0500, John Gorkos wrote:
> We're having some problems with the "TUNE" function of D710s and D72s in the
> Atl area.
>
> I'm beaconing the following text from my Tx/Igate:
> ;147.15NGA*111111z3414.21N/08409.60WrT143 R60m NET2000TU Cumming,GA
> which seems to match, per character, what's on the localinfo.html page:
> ;FFF.FFxyz*111111zDDMM.hhN/DDDMM.hhWrTnnn RXXm NETxxxxxx MTGxxxxx .........

Appears consistent with the specification for Frequency Objects.

The best specification, you can find it here:

http://webster-new.dmz.usna.edu/Users/aero/bruninga/aprs/freqspec.txt

> We can see the objects show up correctly in the station list of the 710s and
> 72s, but no amount of pushing the "tune" button does the trick.  Meanwhile,
> tune DOES work for stations that include their freq in their status text:
> KD4UYP-9>S3UV8R,WIDE1-1*,WIDE2-1,qAR,AB0OO-1:`oQhn*uk/]"72}147.075MHz=

Yes, this is consistent with what is implemented in the Kenwood TM-D710.

They have implemented what they call "QSY Function". And that works with
frequency information embedded in "the first 10 bytes of the existing
free-field position comment text or STATUS field".

So, if you want to tune, you have to send out beacons that report the
frequency as specified in the document mentioned above according to the
paragraph "APRS Frequency Formats" and not the paragraph "Frequency
Objects".

As a start, you can try:

>147.15 MHz T143 R60m And here you can write that it's in Cumming,GA

but that won't create an object for you. So it's two different features,
but you can use both of them if needed.

73,

Guido IZ6RDB