[aprssig] Garmin NUVI & messaging?

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Sat Feb 12 14:36:22 EST 2011

Everett WA6CRE wrote...

> Does nuvi 360 play same as 350 leaving bread crumb trail?
> Wish my GPS-V had a big screen, eyes age 67.

The Nuvi 350 is the one that behaves properly. Others may not allow
you to upload received position reports as waypoints, and some that
do allow waypoints to be uploaded may not delete the old position
before creating a waypoint at the new position. That leaves a "breadcrumb"
trail of waypoints behind a mobile station. The 350 (no longer in production)
is the one to get. It requires an FMI cable, the 350 must be powered from
the cradle, and the FMI cable must be connected to a Tracker 2... either
an OT2m, T2-135 or T2-301. With a Nuvi 350, FMI cable and Tracker 2,
you can see other APRS stations around you, send and receive APRS
messages using the GPS display and onscreen keyboard, and change
settings in the Tracker 2, and even other Tracker 2s if your callsign is
in the "auth list" or you have the password... e.g. remotely change the
settings in a hilltop digi without going there.

See http://wiki.argentdata.com/index.php/Garmin_FMI for more details on
the capabilities of various Nuvi models. According to the chart, you will
end up with a "breadcrumb" trail behind mobile stations.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH