[aprssig] Old radio - on HF APRS

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Fri Feb 4 03:02:31 EST 2011

On 2/3/2011 4:02 PM, Bill V WA7NWP wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 3, 2011 at 3:19 PM, Bob Bruninga<bruninga at usna.edu>  wrote:
>> It was the first HF rig I used for 10.151 LSB APRS and is what I used to
>> establish that frequency back in 1985.
>>

> Note that you can now use the same radio on the same frequency to also
> run the far more HF efficient modes with APRS-Messenger.
>
>    http://www.crosscountrywireless.net/aprs_messenger.htm
>
> Now if only we could get started on 40 meters at night when 30 meters
> is dead.   I'm suggesting the same 7.1051 band edge - any takers?

When are we going to bury this silly business of operating on an LSB
suppressed-carrier  frequency outside the band?

1)   Most rigs on 30M have to be "hacked" for out-of-band operation to do this.

2)   Commercial/military/marine/aviation HF gear (some of which gets used on
the ham bands) operates exclusively on USB.

3)   Most modern post-WARC ham rigs (that include 30M OEM) roll over from
default LSB to default USB at 9.999.99 MHz.

I don't think we have to accommodate Heathkit "hot water" monobanders with only
one sideband any longer.

10.147.600  USB    will produce exactly the same  1600/1800 Hz audio tone pair
for KAM and TNC2 TNCs while keeping the carrier inside the ham band.

At the same time you can also receive the GMSK/PSK-based APRS on 10.149.700
with the sound-card-based APRS Messenger.  (You set APRS Messenger to use an
audio tone frequency of 2100 Hz.)

Details here:   *** HF APRS over PSK63 ***
<http://wa8lmf.net/APRS_PSK63/index.htm>

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net