[aprssig] Old radio repair (OT)

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Thu Feb 3 14:47:37 EST 2011

On 2/3/2011 1:28 PM, Eric Hansen wrote:
> Agreed. It's not Bob's listserv, but without him, nothing in APRS is
> getting done.

Ok, I've been silent until now, but that's just a bold faced inaccuracy
(politically correct version of the word I was going to use).

I agree that APRS would not exist had it not been for Bob, but he is NOT
the ONLY driving force in APRS today.  I don't know about your
definition of "nothing...getting done", but have you seen APRSISCE/32?
While there have been some spec clarifications and advice from Bob, I
have it on good authority that there's not one since line of code in
that entire APRS client application even VIEWED by Bob let alone being
WRITTEN by him.

There are people out here trying to "get something done" without Bob's
direct intervention.  In many cases, we're trying to hit the (seemingly)
ever-moving target of what the spec says versus what the spec was meant
to say.  This is not a disparagement against Bob, but against the
inconciseness (or whatever the proper word is) of the written word (I
was going to say English, but I'm sure it applies to all human languages
equally well).

PS.  If you think "nothing in APRS is getting done", check it out at
http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/