[aprssig] Old radio repair (OT)

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Wed Feb 2 19:37:49 EST 2011

On 2/2/2011 4:25 PM, Bob Bruninga wrote:
> Is there any value in trying to get an old TS-430S HF radio repaired?  I've never sent a radio in for repair in my life, and this one is so old, probably bought in 1980, that I doubt they even have parts.  Plus cost of repair would probably be more than the radio is worth.
>
> It works on AM, but on USB, LSB, CW and FM, the freq display is blank.  All other knobs seem to function.
>
> Sorry to ask here, but I donno any other group of tech-savy hams to ask.  After 18 years of APRS and PC's, im trying to dig-out and power-up the shack to get back to radio.
>
> Bob, WB4APR
>
> __

I still have a 430 cranking away as a guest rig at my mother's house in
Michigan.   These radios were notorious for the synthesizer VCO aging after a
decade or so, and failing to achieve lock.    Quite often you can revive them
just by nudging the trimmer cap inside the shielded synthesizer box with a
small straight-blade plastic tweaking tool.

Figure  a minimum of $100-$150 just to open the box at a service facility.
Parts availability, ironically,  isn't as big a problem as with later
generations.  The '430 used mostly discrete transistors and general-purpose
small-scale ICs (op amps and CMOS 4000 logic)  rather than mostly custom
model-specific ICs, available only from the mfr, that become unobtanium only a
few years after the model is discontinued.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

=====  Vista & Win7 Install Issues for UI-View and Precision Mapping =====