[aprssig] Gawd This APRS Path May Reach Mars!

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Wed Feb 2 01:42:48 EST 2011

On 2/1/2011 7:19 PM, Eric Hansen wrote:
> Can someone give me a run-down on the n-N pathing? wide1-1,wide2-1 means hop
> from a fill in repeater, two from a mountain top? What does that guy's path mean?

It's an insane path that, when it succeeds, would propagate TEN hops in an
ever-widening circle in every direction, potentially activating HUNDREDS of
digipeaters!    The actual transmission was in Los Angeles and was triggering
every digipeater in the San Francisco area and points two hundred miles north,
San Diego, Sacramento, Las Vegas and more.

The first hop WIDE1-1  could be processed either by a home fillin -OR- a high
level digipeater.   The second part WIDE2-1 will yield one hop, but only from a
high-level digi.         In a WIDEn=N expression, the first digit indicates how
many hops requested.  The second digit is decremented by each digi that
responds to the path, and indicates how many hops are remaining.
Traditionally, this second expression would be WIDE2-2 to start with, allowing
TWO hops via high-level wide area digis.

However, to reduce the congestion in populated areas where a single hop by a
wide-area digi is all that is needed, one "pre-uses" one hop by setting WIDE2-1
instead.

Full details on the history of WIDEn-N and how it works are here on my website:

   http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net