[aprssig] UZ7HO Soundcard Modem

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Fri Dec 30 13:57:59 EST 2011

On 12/30/2011 11:34 AM, kb2scs at optonline.net wrote:
> Hi All
>            Due to the name of UZ7HO Soundcard software
> "Sound Modem"
> Here is a stupid question.
> The Software is a modem and not a packet engine correct?
> In other words in order to do connected packet with it one would have
> to write the full AX25 protocol in their packet program.
>
> The packet program would have to handle all the different
> AX25 packets such as SABM for example.
>
> On the other hand I have heard that UZ7HO's Soundcard Modem
> is a direct replacement for AGWPE.

What do you mean by is "not a packet engine"?

By itself, AGWpe is a modem and port manager -- not a user interface or client.

AGEpe DOES embody the entire AX.25 protocol (i.e. it is a packet
assembler/disassembler), but It is NOT a packet client/terminal.  You have to
run something on top of it such as WinPack, UIview, APRSpoint, etc to tell the
PAD what to do.   UZ7HO does exactly the same thing with the same API.

Further, note that UZ7HO is a direct replacement for AGWpe's sound card modem
only for those programs that utilize AGW via TCP/IP..  Earlier programs that
used the AGW DDE interface (now deprecated) instead (such as WinPack) won't
work with UZ7HO.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

*****  NEW   Precision Mapping 9 For UIview Released! *****
    http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/PMap9_Notes.htm

  Vista & Win7 Install Issues for UI-View and Precision Mapping
     http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/UIview_Notes.htm#VistaWin7

30-meter HF APRS over PSK63
    http://wa8lmf.net/APRS_PSK63/index.htm

   http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths