[aprssig] IS-to-RF proposal (rev b)

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Thu Dec 29 17:05:45 EST 2011

On Dec 29, 2011, at 4:36 PM, Andre wrote:

> To much, igates need to be rewritten, clients need to be rewritten.
> Have a look at my APRS-UDP proposal and see that it can be used NOW with exsisting digipeater software (DigiNed) and clients.

Guess I'm missing your point, perhaps you can give some specific directions.

K4HG-8 is my iPhone using G7LEU's excellent Ham Tracker app. Bob's proposal is that the local IGate automatically note (from listening to the data from the APRS-IS stream) that I am an internet-only fully validated station nearby, and will, subject to IGate operator-set limits on distance, frequency, and channel loading, send my position to the local network. This requires modifying the IGate to do that listening and IGating, but requires no modification to client software.

How exactly, step-by-step, can APRS-UDP do that "NOW"?

Steve K4HG