[aprssig] OT: Yaesu to release digital amateur radio gear

Gregg Wonderly gregg at wonderly.org
Thu Dec 29 12:03:17 EST 2011

I'm on the fence on this one.  If you look at the table labeled "Compare Amateur
digital communications specifications", there is nothing notable about bandwidth
efficiency for P-25 vs D-Star.   Both are at 4.8khz per 6.25khz of bandwidth.
P-25 just uses a full 12.5Khz to get to 9.6khz of data "speed".  Having that
speed available, is a plus, but it's not necessarily more efficient to "use" P-25.

We really don't need a lot of "dividing" forces in Amateur radio, splitting the
investment by users and causing "clubs" to have to purchase "expensive systems"
to put up repeaters or other "services".

In the end, we need to do something with digital that provides "micro cellular"
facilities that will allow for "more bandwidth" to be used by single users, as
well as provide "less effect" on communications, overall, when something is not
working.

D-Star is too pricy at the high end.  It should be about 1/2 that price for
1.2Ghz radios.  People should be able to spend only $50.00 more to get D-Star
enabled radios of a particular type.  But, ultimately, there is a lot of extra
hardware required, and the integration of that hardware, and the manufacturing
facilities all have to be paid for, some how...

Gregg Wonderly
W5GGW