[aprssig] IS-to-RF packet Weighting

Pete Loveall AE5PL Lists hamlists at ametx.com
Thu Dec 29 08:46:13 EST 2011

Bob, drop it.  I was very plain in my explanation.  DO NOT TRY TO MODIFY THE PATH OF AN INTERNET CONNECTED CLIENT.  PERIOD.  I have told you various impacts.  You don't like the answer.  Your dislike of the answer does not matter.  There is NO "where we go from here".  I gave you 2 ways for an Internet user to have an -active- participation in RF operations which, apparently, you have ignored.  #1 is to message with a user who is on RF.  This should never be "automatic" but something initiated by the Internet user just as it is today by any user, Internet or RF.  #2 is to use CQSRVR with groups for local areas and the local users can "opt-in" to seeing people who want to communicate with them (RF or Internet).  Both methods require ZERO changes in current architecture but both methods do require an active action to be taken by the user who wants to be seen on RF.  Seems to me you have always argued for "active" participation yet your pursuit of the "force packets to RF just because they are beaconed by a cell phone" is in direct contradiction to that philosophy (I would suggest that 99% of those cell phones are unmonitored for messages and just sitting in their holders).

I don't know how to make you understand other than to say it one more time: the ONLY path allowed on APRS-IS for Internet connected clients is TCPIP*.  Period.  No "well maybe's" or "maybe we can change it" or "what would be the effects".  That is what the specification is and has been for 10 years.  There is a lot of software written around that specification and it is not a "living" document.  A specification that is a moving target is not a specification but a "keep your fingers crossed that nothing breaks" document.  The APRS-IS specification was grown out of the early implementations to stabilize the APRS-IS.  There are reasons (stated many times over the years) for the various specifications and requirements.

As I said before, if you want to see if you can break APRS-IS, have at it and you will be successful as it is not hard to do.  If you want to create a new network, GREAT! But don't think it can coexist with APRS-IS in the APRS-IS environment without adhering to the APRS-IS gating and transport specs.

73,

Pete Loveall AE5PL
pete at ae5pl dot net