[aprssig] MGATES for IS-Mobiles

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Wed Dec 28 08:13:53 EST 2011

On 12/28/2011 5:34 AM, Steve Dimse wrote:
> Any mobile phone software author that wishes to support this feature just need to implement a special class of message that is sent once every 30 minutes. Easy.

Easy, yes.  Unobtrusive, not really.  I would ask that APRS-IS software
authors please consider carefully overloading the APRS messaging system
with periodic messages specifically designed to go nowhere.  There will
be better ways to get periodic posits onto RF eventually, the demand is
too great to ignore and that's part of the reason for the resistance.

And please remember that in some clients, messages directed to any -SSID
for a specified callsign are received and displayed for all instances of
that callsign per earlier descriptions of the way things "should" work.
In fact, my D700 running as KJ4ERJ-11 will pick up, alert, and display
RF messages directed to any of my other -SSIDs.  Consider the poor
hapless digipeater operator that also runs mobile in the same area that
you're software (or user) has selected as the "target" for
posit-generating message spam.

Talk about driving people even further away from APRS messaging?  This
would certainly have that effect as thousands (eventually) of APRS-IS
users begin flooding random, supposedly non-manned stations with QRM
messages just to trigger a semi-desired side effect.

In my opinion, the APRS-IS mobile user already has a distinct advantage
in that s/he has seemingly 100% packet reception and decode ability.
The APRS-IS user sees everything received by any IGate from the local
(and even remote) RF environments.  I agree that it would be nice to
find a safe, non-impacting way to make said stations visible on RF-only
stations, but let's try to accomplish that goal somehow without
generating TWO packets (message + posit) on the RF instead of just one
(the desired posit).

In the meantime, if you run an APRS-IS-only client and want to show up
in the local RF environment, contact your local IGate operator and get
his/her reaction and support.  Nearly all existing IGate software today
can already gate specific stations from -IS to RF.  Just be ready to
provide reasonable assurances that your XYZ client software won't go
nuts with transmitting packets because it's the IGate operator that has
responsibility for the RF-transmitted copies of those packets.