[aprssig] Why Not "Gate in Vicinity" (phones)

KA7O ka7o at ka7o.net
Wed Dec 28 00:11:29 EST 2011

Yes, I think you may be right. You do appear to be, at some level,
mis-informed as to the purpose of Amateur Radio. However, I don't think
it's your fault - it's a common symptom these days. And easy enough to
come by in our modern consumerist society. The Amateur Service is called
a service - but it is not something that anyone with a call sign is
subscribed to. It is not a 'service' that is due anyone. There are no
Service Level Agreements.

As hams, we participate in the Amateur Service - it doesn't serve us.

You're haranguing of Pete is inappropriate and frankly, rather immature.
He is not saying anything that many others have not been saying for
years. And is to be applauded for taking a stance. He's held true to his
standards and beliefs for the betterment of APRS for many years. And no
- I don't always agree with him.

I've run an APRS I-gate and server since I was licensed back in the mid
90s. There is no way I would allow arbitrary internet users -
essentially - 'open' access to my I-gate just because they also appear
to have a call sign.

If someone - for whatever reason - is limited to a smartphone only
device, they are more than welcome to send a message and participate as
may be fit. I also have a smartphone and a few APRS-IS only devices.
Visitors are welcome! In fact - in some areas, APRS-IS only devices may
be the dominate participants. So be it. Depending on the situation, they
may even be more appropriate. However, even if we use our callsigns and
appropriate passcodes - that is NOT ham radio - regardless of the use of
the APRS protocol.

And you, Eric, are showing a rather un-hamlike attitude that actually is
harmful to the Amateur Community. Is your last name, by chance
"Cartman"? (Sorry, that was a bit of a cheap shot - but does
characterize your tantrum) If you can not accept a consensus decision
made by the community at large, you have bigger issues to deal with than
simply your participation in the Amateur Service or APRS.

Maybe your needs would be better 'served' by a Part 90 radio system. I
believe some of my friends working NE of your QTH would be quite happy
to sell you some very effective kit. As well as meet any Service Level
Agreements you may require.

Tate, KA7O