[aprssig] Why Not "Gate in Vicinity" (phones)

Bill Vodall wa7nwp at gmail.com
Mon Dec 26 17:06:18 EST 2011

>> Agreed.  But I'm taking the idea that a mobile Ham with a smart phone
>> in an area should get equal access to the local ham channel as anyone
>> else.
>
> Now we are on the same wave length, be it a smartphone, a laptop or any
> other IS station you can have with you.

This is Ham Radio...   Any ham has equal access --- on the radio.
Use the network technologies to access the radio - that's good.
Better yet - that's great!    Using network technologies without the
radio and to actually decrease the number of radios on the air and the
ensuing development of Ham RADIO technology - that's not so great...

I really believe that it would be a good thing all around if the
APRS-IS went from an Echolink model (authorized access by the web) to
an IRLP model (access only by RF) it would be good for all involved.
 The APRS-IS would be RF clean and web devices would have access
through RF subchannels and remote RF TNC's...

73
Bill - WA7NWP