[aprssig] Why Not "Gate in Vicinity" (phones)

Andre aprs at pe1rdw.demon.nl
Mon Dec 26 15:47:42 EST 2011

Op 26-12-2011 21:25, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) schreef:
> Pardon my ignorance, but anything UDP based (assuming that's the
> correct implication of the axudp name) doesn't do "connections" so
> they cant "connect to one or more others".  They may "communicate" to
> other instances, but they don't connect.  And as such, I can imagine
> that anyone that can craft a suitable UDP packet and send it to one of
> these instances will basically have direct access to the connected radio?
>
> This would be like running AGW's PEpro on an open port and inviting
> other people to come on down and key up my AX.25 transmitter, eh?  Or
> is an axudp link strictly point-to-point with a receiver only
> accepting UDP data from a specific transmitting IP address?  If that,
> it'd be a bear to keep working in the face of dynamic IP addresses
> used by many ISPs.
>
> I thought the general discussion was how to better secure the APRS-IS,
> not open it up for even easier abuse of remote RF networks.

You are pardoned, connected is probably not technicaly acurate but yes
filtering is heavely used in all current implementations using both
axudp and axip, generaly on domain name basis but vpn can also be used,
if it works for nodes I don't see why it would not work for an aprs network.
The tools are out there, we just need to use them.

73 Andre PE1RDW