[aprssig] Why Not "Gate in Vicinity" (phones)

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Mon Dec 26 14:29:32 EST 2011

APRS-IS has no concept of "path".  According to
http://www.aprs-is.net/Connecting.aspx

> Packets originating from the client should only have TCPIP* in the
> path, nothing more or less (AE5PL-TS>APRS,TCPIP*:my packet).

This is really, really important as it is probably the one consistent
indicator that a packet was directly injected into the APRS-IS stream
and not gated from RF somewhere.

And I'm really not keen on having a cell-phone APRS user configuring
something that is driving the RF rates/paths out of my IGate.  That
cellphone user is likely to be blissfully unaware of coverage areas,
hops, aloha circles or anything remotely related to those packet/APRS
concepts and simply turns on the app and drives cross-country.

IMHO, whatever resolves from this discussion, if anything, will be
unreliable at best if it relies on anything done within the APRS-IS
client.  It's almost as easy to fire up UI-View on a cellular data
connection on a mobile laptop with a GPS as it is to run APRSISCE on
Windows Mobile, IBCNU on an iPhone, or APRSdroid on an Android phone.
In other words, we can't rely on client-side anything to make this work.