[aprssig] Why Not "Gate in Vicinity" because its a bad idea

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Dec 26 12:52:38 EST 2011

> You can not define a one-rate-fits-all limit.
> Where I live, the total APRS activity is around
> one packet every five minutes.

That is an EXCELLENT APRS channel.  That would suggest a 99.3% probability of RF packet success.  Most people would envy such a reliable channel.

> Even if there was some misconfigured client flooding
> the medium, I would be glad to see some activity... :-P

How much?  When the traffic load gets up to 3 packets per minute, and considering that each packet you hear includes the first hop you didn't hear, means that now the channel is 10% loaded and by definition, your probability of packet success had dropped to 90%.

When the packet load gets to say 6 packets per minute, now  your channel success rate is down near 80%.  How low do you want to destroy channel reliablity by bringing in out of area spam?  If everyone is using 2 hops, then 6 packets per minute is more like  30% loading or only 70% probability of success.

ANd if you think 70% is "good enough", remember that for a 2 hop packet from a mobile or HT, the chance that it will be heard after 2 hops is .7 X .7 or less than 50%.  That is a POOR APRS channel!

> Of course we should agree on a sane default which makes
> reverse-igating usable even in crowded areas and which
> does not require a ph.d. to adapt. IMHO, the best
> suggestion so far was a per-callsign(*) limit for
> reverse-igating of maybe 1 pkt/minute, with a burst
> limit of e.g. 4/minute (I have seen APRS-RF rigs with
> a 15 second corner pegging setting, so this seems sane
> to me).

Yikes!  With 40,000 APRS-IS users in real time, that could be only 40,000 packets per minute.  Kinda hard to do on a 1200 baud channel that is optimum at about 6 packets per minute or less.

And corner pegging on the national channel at a 15 second rate?!  SOmeone has APRS confused with a vehicle tracking system.  APRS is not that.  It is a comm system where we like to know in the VHF RF domain, where someone generally is in the network.

I would say that ANY APRS network that is seeing more than about 6 packets per minute is a fully saturated RF network and there should be no frivolous injection of additional traffic.

There is ONE exeption.  If the Injector station IS on the tip-top of the local mountain such that it hears DIRECT every station, and every digi DIRECT, then it can inject additional info, since it can guarantee a collision free transmission.  NO OTHER STATION in the entire area can do this.  So DONT DO IT.  No software can detect that it is in such a unique location, hence it is russian roulette to allow operators to configure that way.

Plus remember, that SOFTWARE HAS no clue about channel loading.  Hearing only 6 packets per minute can equally mean a totally saturated useless channel with 90% collisions as it can mean a successful channel with 70% throughput.

Just some thoughts.
Bob, Wb4APR