[aprssig] Why Not "Gate in Vicinity"

Gregg Wonderly gregg at wonderly.org
Sun Dec 25 09:19:19 EST 2011

On Dec 23, 2011, at 4:48 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) wrote:
> The only, IMHO, truly valid and "safe" fix for too-fast beacons is to fix the clients that are issuing them.  The network isn't responsible, but the -IS to RF IGate operators are, so the software they are using needs to provide suitable assistance.

I think that there are more important concepts that can help.  I think that there should be some bandwidth analysis used in the gate to RF processing.  In particular doing bandwidth used calculations, over a particular amount of time for all gated traffic, as well as for each station, would help it perform some simple throttling techniques.

For example, gated traffic might be limited to 30% of all bandwidth available in a 5 or 10 minute period.  If more traffic occurs, then just like a Level 3 network path, it is just dropped, summarily.

Also, for individual call signs (without SSID), perhaps a maximum of 10% of the bandwidth could be gated.

This seems like some simple book keeping, and the counting can be dynamically managed to not be a large consumer of memory.

Gregg Wonderly