[aprssig] Why Not "Gate in Vicinity"

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Fri Dec 23 17:48:19 EST 2011

I kind of thought you were mixing up concepts here and thinking that the
30 second dupe checksuming of good digipeaters could somehow be
stretched to cover the non-duplicate high-speed beacons from the APRS-IS
clients.  Not likely.  It's not the place of a network transport to
decide what's important and what's not.  It's a transport.

APRS-IS also has an inherent 30 second dupe filter just like the one
that good digipeaters use.  This prevents the inevitable duplicates
received by various IGates within a single RF footprint from being
redundantly delivered throughout the APRS-IS network.  But this is an
EXACT duplicate filter (sans path) so it doesn't help either.

The only, IMHO, truly valid and "safe" fix for too-fast beacons is to
fix the clients that are issuing them.  The network isn't responsible,
but the -IS to RF IGate operators are, so the software they are using
needs to provide suitable assistance.

There's all kinds of ideas and algorithms that could be described,
discussed, debated, and possibly discarded, but ultimately it's up to
the IGate software authors to provide something that works.  And to
avoid requiring a post-doctorate degree to configure it, it better be
simple.

PS.  I don't know that there is a "correct term" because I don't know of
any IGate software out there that provides any intelligent processing
remotely similar to what we're discussing now that mobile APRS-IS
clients are popping up like fruit flies.