[aprssig] Why Not "Gate in Vicinity"

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Dec 23 12:32:07 EST 2011

> APRSISCE/32 doesn't do arbitrary IS to RF gating yet
> because I'm still working out the algorithm so that
> a) it is difficult to mis-configure ...
> b) It is flexible enough to do whatever might be considered useful, and
> c) it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out
> how to configure it properly to a given desired effect.

I admire your hesitation.  Keep it up.

The simplest rule is that it should be forced OFF if the regurgitation of
spam (that is what it is) is on 144.39 (or other national channel).

If someone wants to regurgitate their favorite data onto their own local
UHF, that is fine.  That has been the wide bandwidth model for APRS for over
a decade.  But it's the uninformed operator that tries it on the national
channel that destroys APRS locally.

I cannot think of a fool proof way to detect regurgitation on the national
channel and then get the SHUT-DOWN notice from the APRS-IS.  I can think of
plenty of ways that it "could" work, but nothing, that would work ALL the
time.  Thus, back to square one.  Spam regurgitation by uninformed operator
misconfiguration...

Bob, WB4APR