[aprssig] Why Not "Gate in Vicinity"

Lee Bengston lee.bengston at gmail.com
Thu Dec 22 21:29:20 EST 2011

On Thu, Dec 22, 2011 at 12:48 PM, Pete Loveall AE5PL Lists
<hamlists at ametx.com> wrote:
> That might fix him but the point is: many of these software packages don't do messaging and, more importantly, you are relinquishing control of your radio station to one or more unknown entities who may or may not know what they are doing.  Think about it.

True, but if the software bug instead sends messages every 5 seconds
or faster, it seems that those of us who are gating only messages to
RF would also be relinquishing control.  Given messages currently
retry if an ack is not received, that kind of bug is not outside the
realm of possibility  Just another thing to think about.

Limiting IS to RF traffic to messages certainly minimizes the risk,
though.  I don't understand why some of the software out there can't
do that (along with the other associated rules).

Lee - K5DAT