[aprssig] APRN Info Needed

David Sprangers dsprangers at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 20:47:46 EST 2011

John and Stephen,

Thank you for your replies to my questions and have cleared up a couple of
them. The one question I do have left is if I want to use my Kenwood
TM-700A for mobile SSTV, can I hook up the Argent Data camera to the 6-pin
mini din? If the answer is yes, how do I configure the radio for this?

John,

I am wondering if it would be possible to update your site with a comment
how the Kenwood’s VHC1 has been discontinued and listing a possible
alternative to the VHC1? This is where I got lost about the setting up the
Kenwood TM-700A with a SSTV camera. Since 144.390 should not be used, It
might help us newbies out by mentioning this on your site too.

Stephen,

I would like to use my HP tc-4200 tablet pc for this potential project
using Windows 7. Currently, I am using this laptop with a SiganaLink SL-1
running AGW.  I have tested both WinPack and UI-View with Precision Mapping
9 without any problems.  I would think this tablet could handle the SSTV
and related software.

Regards,

Dave

ND9DW

On Sun, Dec 11, 2011 at 4:06 PM, Stephen H. Smith <wa8lmf2 at aol.com> wrote:

> On 12/11/2011 1:15 PM, David Sprangers wrote:
>

>> I am looking for some guidance on how to integrate SSTV into my Kenwood
>> TM-700A and APRS. Is intergrading SSTV as simple as hooking up the SSTV CAM
>> Slow-Scan TV module from Argent Data to the 6-pin mini din connector on the
>> TM-700A?Do I use the same APRS frequency (144.390) or does this traffic
>> belong on a different frequency?
>>

> DEFINITELY ON ANOTHER (normally voice) frequency.  SSTV transmissions take
> anywhere from 36 seconds to 2 minutes or more -- defintely NOT something
> you want on 144.39!
>

>> What software would I need on base station at home to capture the data
>> and image from APRS\SSTV? I would I use UI-View and MMSSTV?
>>
>>  Yes.
>

>  Is there system available that allows APRS/SSTV data to be viewed on
>> another Kenwood TM-700A or even a Yeast VX-8R?
>>

> A laptop computer running any standard soundcard SSTV software such as
> mmSSTV, ChromaPix, MixW, etc with it's sound system input and output
> connected to the 6-pin mini-DIN jack,  or the mike and speaker jacks.
>
> An ideal platform for this is an inexpensive light-weight "Netbook" PC.
> These mini-laptop machines that are actual standard Windows PCs that run
> normal Windows software,  are now out-of-fashion in the mass retail market
> due to the overwhelming impact of the iPad and other tablets.
>
> Netbooks are now often available for under $225 from online sources like
> newegg.com or tigerdiect.com.       These machines which will run for 4-6
> hours on their internal batteries (or that consume less than 10 watts from
> an external source) always include a webcam which can be used for
> ORIGINATING live SSTV images, as well as receiving pics from others.

> -------------------
>
> --
>
> Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
> Skype:        WA8LMF
> Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net
>
> *****  NEW   Precision Mapping 9 For UIview Released! *****
>   http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/PMap9_**Notes.htm<http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/PMap9_Notes.htm>
>

>  Vista & Win7 Install Issues for UI-View and Precision Mapping
>    http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/UIview_**Notes.htm#VistaWin7<http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/UIview_Notes.htm#VistaWin7>
>
> HF APRS over PSK63
>   http://wa8lmf.net/APRS_PSK63/**index.htm<http://wa8lmf.net/APRS_PSK63/index.htm>
>
> "APRS 101"  Explanation of APRS Path Selection & Digipeating
>  http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths

Dave
ND9DW