[aprssig] A/N game Football Tracking Underway! & APRN

Bernard Van Haecke bernard.vanhaecke at gmail.com
Sun Dec 11 14:11:41 EST 2011

Hi,

Well one could use TEMP1-1 in his VIA path to avoid being digipeated and
still be heard by hams in range of the ATV transmitter.  Also, I believe that
most digipeaters won't forward TEMP packets into the APRS-IS network.
However this will prevent remote hams to track the progress of the ATV
mobile or portable station via aprs.fi or similar.  So I think that in most
situations, ATV+APRS hams would still use WIDE1-1 or something.

I just thought about one type of events where the APRS and ATV range
would be much larger than usual: hot air balloon parties!  I have seen one of
those with 100+ hot air ballons and a few hams participating (back when
I was 12).  In this case the skip zone is the radio horizon, I would guess.

Another one is skydivers.  They had one such event at Pacificon where
APRS-equipped jumpers jumped off a plane in Northern California.  The
ATV booth at Pacificon was talking and showing stuff about them but
I don't remember if they actually had ATV cameras on jumpers, they
might just have been on the ground.  I kick myself for not checking
their booth more carefully!

Bernard KI6TSF