[aprssig] Combined APRS 1.1 document legalities

Rick Widmer yahoo at rickwidmer.com
Fri Dec 9 14:54:41 EST 2011

Replying to this message because it was the last I received...

On 12/9/2011 10:09 AM, Stephen H. Smith wrote:
> I use the open-source "PDF Creator" which is an application wrapped
> around the (also open-source) "GhostScript" clone of Adobe Postscript.

I have CutePDF on another machine.  I haven't tried PDF Creator, but
since it is a print driver, I am afraid it too will be missing some
critical features I desire.  For example: click-able table of contents
and index entries; click-able "See <some topic> on page xxx" notes
within the text; and the big bummer for me, the outline.  I was
expecting to populate the PDF Bookmarks sidebar with the outline.

Using Open Office does allow the Contents, Index and intra-text
hyperlinks to work, but it has a totally different concept of outlines,
and I don't yet know how to control the bookmarks.  They worked so
nicely in Word.  Open the sidebar and see a list of chapter titles, each
with a +/- button in front that allows you to see lower level headings
as desired.  I can probably get it working with Open Office, but it
isn't there yet.

On the other hand, creating many table of contents entries looks much
easier in OO, so many chapters may have their own contents page at the
beginning.

The real problem right now isn't how to generate the document.  I just
had to complain when I found that the expensive commercial programs
would not do the job.  I've spend about 20 hours in the conversion to
Open Office, so I am fairly well committed to it.

The real problem, I have just collected pages from the web and tried to
organize them into a document.  I have almost no original content within
the document.  I need permission from the copyright holders of the
original documents before I can distribute it.  That pretty much boils
down to Bob and Stephen.

I think it is safe to say that much of the aprs.org web site is in the
document, as well as the sections of wa8lmf.net related to APRS symbols.
  If either of you would like to see it before you decide, let me
know...  I don't want to send a 1000+ page 24MB attachment as a surprise.

Rick   KD7VKZ

p.s.  One bit of original content from the document...

F 1 Forward to version 1.0.1a

There have been many complaints on the APRS lists about the fact that
the APRS specification isn’t all in one place.  This document has been
created to correct that.

Since the information in http://www.aprs.org/aprs11.html was approved by
the APRS-WG on 30 July 2004, I am limiting changes in this document to
those listed on that web page.  The web page is an Addendum to version
1.1 so I have retained that version number, appending an ‘a’ to signify
the previously approved changes have been added to the document. This
also prevents a collision with the already existing 1.2 version of the
APRS specification.

Currently this is a very deep copy of aprs11.html, and all the pages
referenced by it.

Once this is complete and peer reviewed I will consider creating a new
document with the changes listed in http://www.aprs.org/aprs12.html.
The 1.2 changes have not been approved by the APRS-WG, so decisions will
have to be made by someone besides this editor on what to include in
that document.

Rick Widmer, KD7VKZ