[aprssig] How to get new software evaluated???

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Wed Dec 7 21:34:47 EST 2011

On 12/7/2011 9:20 PM, Andrew P. wrote:
> It happens that I am a professional software engineer, and employed
> for that purpose. That means that I had to sign an employment
> agreement granting all ownership rights in any software I create to my
> employer, whether I create the software at work or on my own time, and
> whether or not it has anything to do with my employer's business. I am
> currently in negotiations with the Legal department at my employer to
> get them to assign the rights to YAAC back to me, so I can release it
> under the LGPL.. Looks like it's going to happen, but they aren't in
> any hurry (no profit in it for them). I'll let everyone know as soon
> as I own my software; I hope it's done before Legal goes on vacation
> for the holidays.

I'm seriously glad I left a similar company back in 1995 and now have my
own company with a single partner.  Otherwise, I'd have to have gone
through the same thing with APRSISCE/32.

> In the meantime, I've bombproofed the code a little more and spent
> more time writing the online help. Thanks for the suggestion, Lynn, to
> use a full APRS-IS feed for load-testing. Seems it takes a lot of CPU
> horsepower to process an entire hemisphere's real-time APRS traffic,
> but I'm able to keep up now. Or are the garbaged packets I'm getting
> caused by circular buffer overflow in the APRS-IS Tier 2 server I'm
> connected to because I'm back-pressuring?

Anything's possible, but if you have an hourly packet counter on a full
feed you should see rates like (for the past 8 hours) 125k, 126k, 131k,
131k, 133k, 132k, 131k, 132k where k=1000 packets.  Firenet.us runs
more, between 145k and 153k.  These are both with a connection to port
10152.

But there ARE concatenated packets running around on the APRS-IS.  I've
got a Concat trace log that shows me suspect ones and why it suspects
them.  It's not yet detecting all of them, but at least it keeps entire
packets from showing up as part of a message body.