[aprssig] Identifying priority messages

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Dec 5 11:32:52 EST 2011

Subject: [aprssig] Identifying priority messages

> I vaguely remember Bob talking about a way to flag non-MicE
> priority messages, possibly by lower-casing the quadrant letters
> (NSEW) in lat/lon values in position messages.  Was this
> indeed Bob's statement, or was my brain melting down by then
> from too many seminars?

That is the proposal, but I think, until UIview vanishes, we cannot
implement it, since (I think) UIview does not recognize the lower case
quadrants.  Maybe it is a good time to test it again.  If we have a bunch of
non-upgradeable firmware radios out there that also ignore manual lower case
NSEW, then we cannot do this.  I fear such may be the case...

Bob, Wb4APR

I tried implementing that, and have been getting occasional "priority"
messages that don't look very priority. So, is this:

A) a code bug and/or delerium on my part,

B) a code bug on the sending station's part,

C) RF garbling of messages, or

D) possible evidence that this priority-flagging idea may not work because
of pre-existing conflicting implementations?

I will be attempting to collect samples of those messages again for further
analysis.

Andrew Pavlin, KA2DDO