[aprssig] APRS talk in Los Alamos?

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Aug 31 17:08:56 EDT 2011

> Me, too.  I had been thinking WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1
> was "the gold standard", but when going through
> Albuquerque I sure heard a lot of dupes!  I've
> already changed my HamHUD to WIDE2-2 and we'll see how it goes.

Actually, WIDE2-2 is shorter too!

Send WIDE2-2 get: DIGI1,WIDE2-1 and then several DIGI1,DIGI2,WIDE2

Send W11,W21 get: DIGI1,WIDE1,DIGI2-1 and then several
DIGI1,WIDE1,DIGI2,WIDE2

So the savings is significant.  I think the overall value to the APRS
network is to educate people to only use the WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1 path if they
are in an area which has lots of WIDE1-1 fill in digis, or they live near
one and it is the only way to get out.

Bob, Wb4APR