[aprssig] Access to info.aprs.net wiki

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Wed Aug 31 15:53:59 EDT 2011

On Wed, Aug 31, 2011 at 12:45:54PM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <w0jrt at yahoo.com> flavor, containing:
> I'd like to make some contributions to the wiki at info.aprs.net but it isn't letting me create an account.? If I click on the "Log in / create account" link in the corner it takes me to a page that only lets me log in or recover a password, but not register.? I've e-mailed one of the sysops a few days ago but haven't received a response.
>
> Does anyone here know the owners of that site and could perhaps poke them to see if the registration thing could be fixed?

Speak to Scott Miller.

The problem is that the wiki is running very old version of mediawiki
that doesn't support some important spam-control measures, and these were
getting exploited several times a day for months --- the wiki was a polluted
mess only a few months ago.  Spam scripts were creating accounts and spamming
like mad, and there was no mediawiki plugin to prevent that that was compatible
with the old version of mediawiki.

As a stop-gap measure, Scott disallowed new registration until he had the time
to upgrade the wiki software to one that supported finer-grained control over
the registration process.

Scott can still create an individual account himself, but might be too busy
to service that sort of thing.

I'm one of the sysops, but I have no access to the server itself --- I can only
do sysop tasks that can be done through the mediawiki interface (like clean
out spam, which I spent weeks doing).  I don't think creating user accounts
is one of those.

 "One man alone can be pretty dumb sometimes, but for real bona fide
 stupidity, there ain't nothin' can beat teamwork." - Edward Abbey